Acne usually appears when the skin pores are clogged with oil, dirt, and dead skin. There are various types of acne. In order to treat acne effectively, you need to know first what the types of acne are and their differences.
For some people, acne can be annoying enough to lower self-confidence, and create stress . The presence of acne is characterized by oily skin, the appearance of small pimples, and blackheads .
Acne usually appears on the face, but in some cases, acne can also appear on other areas of the body, such as the shoulders, back, chest, and neck.
Some acne may be treated only by using over-the-counter acne medications. However, some others require special treatment by a dermatologist because of their severity.
Types of Acne
Before you decide on the right treatment to treat acne, you should first identify the following types of acne:
1. Cystic acne ( cystic acne )
A person who has cystic acne will usually be more at risk of having other types of severe acne. This is a pimple with red cysts that are quite large under the skin, and contain pus that makes them look like boils .
If you experience cystic acne, it is advisable to consult a dermatologist. The reason is, the use of over-the-counter drugs in stores is usually not effective enough to get rid of this type of acne.
2. Nodulocystic acne (stone acne)
In this condition, the pimple forms an inflamed nodule or cystic pimple bump . The color can also change to purple or dark red. Severe nodulocystic acne will usually leave scars that are quite annoying.
If needed, the doctor may inject corticosteroids directly into the pimple. This aims to reduce the inflammation and size of the pimple which can be quite painful. Proper treatment by your dermatologist can also minimize scarring or scarring due to this acne.
3. Acne conglobata
This type of acne is generally experienced by men in their teens and young adults. There are several things that are thought to play a role in causing acne conglobata , such as excess testosterone, steroid drugs, and autoimmune conditions .
This is a severe form of acne and involves many inflamed nodules. The bumps in this type of acne are connected to other bumps under the skin's surface.
Acne conglobata can spread on the face, back, chest, buttocks, arms, and neck. The scars caused can certainly be very disturbing. Correct and timely treatment is important. Immediately consult a dermatologist if you suffer from this type of acne.
4. Acne fulminant
This type of acne appears suddenly and spreads all over the body. Usually accompanied by fever, muscle aches, weakness, bleeding from acne, especially in the upper body and face, and swelling of the spleen and liver.
It is still not known exactly what causes this type of acne, but it is thought to be related to high levels of the hormone testosterone . Acne fulminans is the most severe type of acne and should be treated immediately by a dermatologist at a hospital.
Tips to get rid of acne
Here are some ways you can do at home to get rid of acne from your face, including:
- Keep your face clean by regularly washing your face with warm water and facial soap made from gentle and non-irritating ingredients. Do this twice a day.
- Choose the right medicine. You can choose products that can remove excess oil and contain sulfur, benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid , or resorcinol. To be sure, adjust to the condition and type of your facial skin .
- Choose facial products that list non- comedogenic (does not cause blackheads) or use water as the main ingredient.
- Protect your face using sunscreen . However, make sure the sunscreen you use is oil-free and non- comedogenic .
- Don't let your dirty hands touch your face, because this can make your face worse. Also pay attention to objects that touch your face, such as bed linen, face masks, or cell phones.
- Avoid squeezing pimples , because this will actually aggravate or make the acne on the face experience an infection, and even increase the risk of acne scars.
Understanding the types of acne is important, so you don't take the wrong treatment steps. If the types of acne that appear on your face are quite severe, stop using over-the-counter acne medications, and don't delay to consult a dermatologist.